"Blue-Caption" Sticker Overlay for Teenage Engineering OP-Z (OP-Z Skins)
Interested in more than one? All our OP-Z products, including overlays and Underlay cheat sheets can be purchased as a 2-pack or 3-pack for significant discounts! Once you know which OP-Z products you like, please see our Teenage Engineering OP-Z collection page to select a bundle and specify in the notes at checkout which overlays you wish to purchase.
About This Overlay:
This product is a custom designed and manufactured 9-piece adhesive-backed overlay kit for the Teenage Engineering OP-Z synthesizer. The image is printed using a high-quality commercial printing process to provide the best resolution and color saturation. A glossy topcoat lamination is applied in order to improve contrast and provide physical protection for the printed image. Holes have been cut for all of the front panel buttons, dials, LEDs, and the built-in speaker. When properly installed the overlay will not interfere with any of the OP-Z's functions (see installation instructions below for details).
The overlay's adhesive is perfect for securely gripping the OP-Z's polyacrylamide & glass fiber composite surface, yet it can also be removed with reasonable ease (we remove and replace them often for photography and during product development). The sticker has been cut to fit slightly inset from the border of the OP-Z, and with gently rounded corners to help prevent catching and peeling of the edges over time, thereby increasing its longevity.
Manufacturing & Shipping Info:
Our products are manufactured in small batches based on customer demand. Most orders are shipped within 3-5 business days of payment, however in some rare cases it may take up to 2-weeks to process your order. If a shipment delay is expected, then we will contact you to provide an update on your order. This product is made in the USA and ships from Portland, Oregon, USA.
Installation And Removal Instructions:
Watch the installation video here:
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while installing the overlay sticker.
- We recommend having tweezers, a toothpick, and an X-Acto knife (or similar thin craft blade), handy during installation. If your OP-Z is excessively dirty, you may want to clean it with an isopropyl alcohol wipe before installing the overlay. You may also want to wash your hands with soap and water before installing the overlay to prevent getting oils or debris on the adhesive.
- Start by installing the main sticker, rather than the small stickers that go over the parameter dials (it's easier to access the smaller stickers once the main sticker has been removed from its backing). To minimize the risk of delamination, peel the backing away from the sticker rather than curling the sticker excessively (this is demonstrated in the instruction video). Once the main sticker has been removed from its backing, inspect the front and back to make sure that there are no small unwanted pieces attached. Use a toothpick to remove any excess pieces, especially around the small LED holes, and parameter dials.
- When installing the main sticker, use the holes that were cut for the LEDs and speaker as alignment guides, being careful not to let the sticker contact the OP-Z before finding the correct alignment. If these holes are lined up correctly, then the rest of the sticker should fit nicely.
- Once the main sticker is in place, install the eight small stickers over the parameter dials (two stickers per dial). Since these small stickers may be difficult to place precisely, we use tweezers for positioning as demonstrated in the instruction video.
- The sticker can be removed for repositioning. If this is necessary, carefully slide a thin craft blade (such as X-Acto knife) between the sticker and the synthesizer (making sure not to separate the lamination from the sticker) and gently lift until you have enough space to grab with your fingers. Then use your fingers to peel off the rest of the sticker being careful not to curl the sticker excessively. The blade should not scratch the dial plastic if you are gentle. We do not recommend using your fingernail or other blunt object to start the peel since this is likely to cause a crinkle in the sticker. When removing the sticker, we recommend keeping the bend to below 90-degrees since extreme bending may cause the lamination to separate from the printed image. Any adhesive residue left on your OP-Z after removing the overlay should be easy to clean by rubbing it with fingers or with a soft rag and a small amount of Gamsol.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer any guarantees against possible damages to your OP-Z by using this product. However, while developing these products we have left the stickers on our OP-Z for extended periods of time, and we have swapped out dozens of stickers during product photography and testing. During our tests we have not noticed any damage whatsoever to the OP-Z's original paint markings or plastic body, and any small amount of adhesive residue that may be left after removing the sticker has been easy to clean by rubbing it with fingers or with a soft rag and a small amount of Gamsol without harming the OP-Z.
- The clear lamination on these stickers has a glossy finish. This means that you may see some reflections from ambient light sources, and you may be able to see fingerprints at certain viewing angles, particularly on designs with dark or black areas. Fingerprints are easily removed by gently rubbing with soft dry cloth. The lamination is adhesive-bonded to the printed image, however it is possible that the lamination may separate especially if the sticker is crinkled or pinched. In spite of these possible issues, we believe the lamination improves the product by improving perceived contrast and color saturation while also providing a robust physical barrier to protect the printed image.
- It is possible that you may be able to reuse these stickers if you are careful when removing them, however we do not explicitly claim that they are reusable. Removing the sticker may cause degradation to the original quality of the sticker overlay. If you intend to reuse these sticker overlays, please see the instructions for removal tips.
- Any photography or artwork used in the design of this overlay product is either the original product of Oversynth or modified from an image in the public domain under a creative commons license.
- This is an aftermarket product. The product includes the adhesive overlay kit only and does not include a Teenage Engineering OPZ synthesizer. Oversynth is in no way affiliated with Teenage Engineering. Teenage Engineering and OP-Z are trademarks of Teenage Engineering.